As a result of a Leeds magazine story, a major new teaching building on Lyddon Terrace will be named after Esther Simpson (French and German 1924; Dip Education 1925; Hon LLD 1989). Esther worked tirelessly to save intellectuals fleeing persecution during the Second World War and in the following decades. The Esther Simpson Building, situated near Leeds University Business School and School of Law buildings, is part of a multimillion-pound development of facilities for these disciplines. It will include trading rooms, technology-rich flexible teaching areas and behavioural laboratories.
Read a previous Leeds magazine feature about Esther Simpson here.